Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Kuching Day 4

Guess what.. We missed the shuttle bus again!! Actually not very sure la, the schedule written there says 720am, it was 730 when we were there.. I asked the owner of the lodge that sells tic for the shuttle, he said the earliest is 915am.. So we took the kolo mee we dabao to the waterfront and slowly enjoyed our breakfast, while time and ppl passed by...

Met a fellow traveller on that same shuttle, he was actually on his way to G.Santubong, the mountain that forms the backdrop of Sarawak Culture Village.. At the ht of 800+m, it towers over the village and steepess of close to 95deg at the steepest point! ( bearing in mind he started close to sea level and its gonna be juz a daytrip.. And the figures I estimated one la) anyway he's gonna haf his 2nd attempt at conquering the summit after falling out 120m from the summit 2yrs ago.. He said he was exhausted.. He gonna take shorter albeit steeper route this time round... So he hopped off the minivan when we were halfway there and bid us good luck.. I think he needs more luck than us!

The cultural village was indeed rather touristy, but I didn't find that it's a waste of time.. I particularly enjoyed going into the constructed traditional Rumah Malayu and Rumah Cina.. I actually felt very at home in the fake Chinese house.. Perhaps it's my subconscious doing it's magic? ( I did stayed in a house and conditions like this before.. Before my parents moved into a HDB, before I turned 3..)

Damai beach was a little bit of a disappointment.. It's really quite pretty, big waves, fine sand, clear horizon and all.. But dun think it fit swimming in la.. A little too rough for dipping.. Took a few snaps and off I ran to catch the shuttle!

Back at Kuching, we took a short ferry and ventured to the other side of the river where there is a community of Malay kumpungs.. Real kumpungs, real ppl staying there, not made for show one... But the fact tat they're there attracts kits of tourists from the other side of the river la.. So they're quite used to having tourist walking by their houses all the time.. We had our dinner there.. Sarawak laksa.. Erm.. Requires getting used to.. Ayam Penyet, same, but with diff sides and gravy..


Carebear! Stare!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: